Sunday, December 28, 2008

I'm sorry, I shoved 11 cookies into the VCR...

Cutout cookies have been a theme in my life this Christmas!

First there were the cookies that the kiddos decorated. The week before winter break Mrs. Zimmerman brought in some beautiful cutout cookies! She made 3 colors of icing, and brought about 5 different colors of sprinkles. The kids (yes, all 36 of them) each got 2 cookies to ice and eat. Before the event, we were nervous to say the least. There didn't seem to be an organized way to provide cookies, icing, and sprinkles to all the kids. So we set up our classroom as a bakery and just "let them go". It was brave, but it went surprisingly well. :)

Second, I think my roommate might be an elf. The kind that make cookies. Erin LOVES to make cutouts. Even more, she loves to ice them. There is one picture of Erin's cookie cutters, which are copious. There is another of some of the cookies she iced. These were only the tip of the iceberg. It's inexplicable how many cookies she made and iced.

Finally, I decided to keep the cutout cookies streak going and take a batch to the nursing home for Grandma and Grandpa to ice. I'm positive that I can't explain how entertaining the event was. I took red, white, and green icing, about 5 different shapes (snowmen, snowflakes, gingerbread boys, stars, and trees), some icing tubes with decorating tips, and some red and green crystals for sprinkles. I'm fairly sure that at times Grandpa used every supply imaginable, creating cookies that looked pretty terrible. Actually, icing at the nursing home felt strikingly like icing in kindergarten. :) Regardless of their appearance, they all taste the same I suppose. All I know is that that was the first time we've gotten Grandma out of her room to do something social, and Grandpa wouldn't stop until they were ALL iced. I think it was a good time had by all. Needless to say, we left every single cookie at the home (which is good considering they were just plagued by the flu and Grandpa couldn't stop licking his fingers).

Come to think of it between school, home, and the nursing home...I might be able to open a cookie shop. I think you'd be able to tell which ones Erin and I iced. However, the cookies iced by kiddos and grandparents might be indistinguishable...

Hope the photos support the story. :)

No comments: